America's Health Rankings®-2012 Edition: Vermont healthiest state for the 4 year in a row!
Vermont has steadily improved in the rankings over the last 14 years from a ranking of 17th in 1998 to 1st in 2007. It has remained in the top 5 consistently since 2003, and in the #1 spot for the last four years. The United Health Foundation, which presents the annual America's Health Rankings "...in an effort to educate Americans and encourage them to take steps toward a healthier future", credits Vermont's good health to high rates of both early prenatal care and graduation from high school, with low rates of infectious diseases and violent crimes. Vermont has a strong (and growing!) local food movement which may explain it's #1 ranking in Diet, Fruit & Vegetables, and there are numerous opportunities for outdoor recreation all year round which undoubtedly helped with the #5 ranking for lower incidence of sedentary lifestyle.
Vermont Healthiest State: Places & Activities!
Here are just a few of the Burlington Vermont area's healthy activities, events & organizations!
- Burlington Farmer's Market - Get fresh local produce, meats, cheeses & crafts all year round! Many other area towns hold their own farmer's markets as well!
- Key Bank Vermont City Marathon & Relay organized by Run Vermont.
- Intervale Center: Supporting several small local farmers, with a mission to strengthen community food systems. They also have 3 miles of groomed cross-country ski trails!
- Green Mountain Club: Founded, built, and maintains Vermont's Long Trail, the first long-distance hiking trail in the United States.
- Health Conscious Grocers: These Burlington VT area grocers provide local, organic & healthy food options for the health-savvy customer:
- Ski Vermont: A non-profit trade association promoting & protecting the state's ski industry. A great online resource for tracking snow conditions, learning about special events & finding your perfect VT ski destination!