It comes as no surprise to me that Burlington has once again caught national attention for its quality of living. Burlington VT ranked #2 in Kiplinger's 2013 "10 Great Places to Live"! With easy access to nature & outdoor recreation in every direction, quality health care, low violent crime-rates & sustainable 'green' practices fueling the local economy, Burlington is a great place to live, work & play. It's a wonderful place to raise a family, go to college, and even spend your retirement years! The full rankings will be published in the September issue of Kiplingers Personal Finance Magazine.
Kiplingers previously ranked Burlington as number-eight in its pick for Best Cities for the Next Decade in 2010 crediting the Queen City's growing 'green-powered' economy.
Burlington VT ranked:
Burlington has been honored with numerous awards and high rankings over the years. Below are are a few:
- #3 Best Cities for Foodies, 2012 (Sperling's BestPlaces) - Vermont's local food-movement provides the freshest produce along with locally raised livestock.
- 10th Safest mid-sized city, 2010 (Farmer's Insurance, using rankings by Sperlings BestPlaces.net) - The study considers the rate of violent crime, air quality, weather, life expectancy & employment rates among other criteria.
- #1 Best Green Place to Live in America, 2007 (County Home Magzine and Sperlings BestPlaces.net) - Burlington, Vermont's high value on a 'green lifestyle' includes composting programs, community involvement and 'green businesses'. Overall, as a state, Vermont also ranked as the Greenest State in the Nation in a 2010 survey conducted by 24/7 Wall St website.
- Forbes: America's Best Downtowns, 2011
- Happiest small city - for population under 300,000 (Gallup Poll survey, 2011)
- #1 ranking on "100 Best Places to Raise a Family"(Children's Health Magazine)
Overall as a state, Vermont has been nationally recognized for the following:
- 2nd Most Peaceful State in the Nation, 2012 (United States Peace Index 2012)
- Healthiest State in the Nation, 2011 (United Health Foundation's 2011 America's Health Rankings, as reported by Reuters)
- Greenest State in the Nation, 2010 on a Survey of Pollution, Energy Use and Policy in all 50 States conducted by 24/7 Wall St website.